The Purdue Alumni Association exists to improve our members personal, professional and intellectual wellness. Our focus is to:
- connect alumni to Purdue programs, services and events.
- connect alumni to each other through clubs, networks and events around the world.
- provide opportunities for professional development through skills training, online courses and degree programs.
- create opportunities through 1:1 career development coaching, resume review and job-seeking skills training.
- create opportunities for personal development by sharing research focused on all aspects of wellness.
We believe alumni are a force for action, growth and well-being for Purdue, for careers, for lives and for the world.
Purdue Alumni Association History
J. B. Harper founded “The General Alumni Association” in 1878 so graduates could stay in touch. Harper served as the first president. The Purdue Alumni Association has been helping Purdue alumni and friends around-the-world ever since. Here are a few of the key historical events and dates:
- 1890 – Purdue alumni clubs were founded in Chicago and Indianapolis. These clubs helped keep Purdue connections strong with alumni away from campus.
- The Purdue Alumni Association was the first entity on campus that communicated to alumni. The first publication for alumni was the Purdue Bulletin. It was a compilation of letters from graduates to their classmates and included campus news. In 1912, the Purdue Bulletin became the Purdue Alumnus which is still published quarterly. How many things can you think of that are still thriving after 100 years?
- 1912 – Purdue alumni were active in fundraising campaigns to build Purdue Memorial Union. It was dedicated in 1924.
- 1927 – A state statute was officially enacted that added three alumni-elected trustees to the Purdue University Board of Trustees. George Ade ‘87 had been the sole alumni trustee role since 1909.
- 1953 – R.J. Rudolph became the first Executive Director of the Purdue Alumni Association.
- 1958 – Purdue’s athletic booster group, the John Purdue Club, was founded thanks to the involvement of the Purdue Alumni Association.
- 1964 – The Purdue Alumni Association hosted their first international tour, traveling with a group of alumni to Europe.
- 2004 – The Alumni Association moved to the Dick and Sandy Dauch Alumni Center on the south side of campus.
- 2005 – Launched the Purdue Alumni Student Experience (PASE) was launched. It quickly became the largest student group on the West Lafayette campus.
- 2018 – Membership tiers were introduced, allowing members to choose the services and activities they value.
Purdue Alumni is an independently financed, nonprofit alumni organization. Through the support of dues-paying members worldwide, we offer our services to all alumni, as well as funding for programs, services, and scholarships offered by the alumni association and alumni clubs and groups.